Friday 18 November 2011

Return of the Fat Bloke (not Jedi. Not yet...)

Sorry for the radio silence over the last few days. You see, one of the reasons I started this blog was to help motivate me to run, as if I didn't then you would all know and then my failure would be public. And in turn, running motivates me to write, as it is nice to say "look what I have achieved".

However, what if I can't run (as opposed to can't be arsed to run)? Well, I have found I have very little to blog about (seeing as I am keeping this mainly focused on running) and thus haven't blogged. But now I'm back baby, yeah! 


So, the reason I haven't been running is that I have managed to get yet another cold. This is a bit unusual for me, I hadn't had a cold all year, but then 2 in the last few weeks. One I picked up in Croatia and the other was just the standard cold going round the office. The timing is a bit of a bugger, as I have had this week off and was hoping to get a few good runs under my belt and then maybe do 10k this coming Sunday.

Instead I have found it hard to breathe (one of those lovely colds that makes it feel like your lungs are wrapped in a blanket) and so have done the cleaning, cleared out cupboards etc. Oh, and I went for lunch at Gaucho Grill on Wednesday. Those of you who know me know that I am married to a veggie, and so most of the time just have veggie dinners, as it is easier and I have actually grown to like most stuff, you just need a bit more effort than when cooking meat but you can bash out some really tasty food. However, a 400g ribeye steak is not an opportunity to be missed and it was good to catch up with a good friend as we munch our merry way through a slab of dead cow. And it totally kicked ass.


But now I am feeling much better! Must have been the steak. Oh yes, not the week's rest, but the meat. Hmmmmm, lovely meat. Anyway, I managed to get out yesterday afternoon and do a fairly gentle 5k in a okish 28 mins 44 secs. I did find myself having to slow to a walk a little more than usual to get my breath back but you know what, it just felt really good to stretch my legs. And I had a slab of the wife's bananananananana cake as a reward when I got back!


I could really feel it this moring though. Not the cake, but the run. As I lay in bed I stretched out (as I am sure many of you do) and then had horrific cramp in the back of my left thigh. Now, I am no stranger to cramp, and those you you who have been lucky enough to see me in shorts will not be surprised I usually get it in my calfs. Still, after jumping out of bed and pushing down hard for a bit it subsided. And now I am writing this before going for a pre lunch run, as it is sort of sunny and not raining! 6.5km this time I think, though given I have still got the last bits of this cold, I am again forced with having to take it at maybe a slower pace than I would like. But hay ho, must get training! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, promise!

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up champ. Though the idea of a "gentle 5k" seems like an oxymoron to me. Sort of like a "gentle disembowelment".

    ReplyDelete