Monday 28 November 2011

A massive boost and a difficult saturday run

Right, it was a busy weekend for me, running wise, which is why I am now only writing late on Monday. I am going to do it is reverse order, as Sunday was a far bigger day than Saturday.

I didn't actually do any running on Sunday, but it was probably the most important day so far and will remain so, perhaps only being eclipsed by the event itself. So, I was invited to attend an event held by the Willow Foundation, the charity that has kindly given me a place in the London Marathon and one which some of you will know I have been raising money for already in 2011.

To say I was bowled over is a bit of an understatement.  I met the team who run the charity (lovely, one and all) as well as a few people who had been on a Willow Special Day. It really helped me to know how the money I am raising helps people and the massive effect it can have on some, helping them to deal with whatever they are going through, short or long term, and to be able to do something away from their problem, if only for a little while.

I also spoke to someone who had overcome cancer to actually run the marathon. Indeed, not only did he run it, he smashed it out of the park, crossing the finishing line in 4 hours 11 minutes. He is my inspiration. If he can overcome cancer to not only get round but to do it in a time that is a bit faster than my target, then it is the very least I can do to put my trainers on and get some miles under the belt, even if it is cold and chucking it down.

On top of all that, I also met the legend that is Bob Wilson. He was a true gent, making time for everyone, including me and the Mrs. We spoke not only about Willow but he also had time for a quick word about Arsenal, and he much he rates Wojciech Szczesny (try saying that after a few beers. Or even sober!) and he was also happy to have his picture taken with me:



So, a good day and not only do I feel more attached to the charity, I have also been given a kick up the arse.

Which is a good thing considering my performance on Saturday morning. Recall, my runs last week were the first off my new training plan. So, Monday was 15 minutes, Wednesday 20 and on Friday night I went to the gym and smashed out 25 minutes - if fact I ran for just over 26, nailing up 5km on the way. Not too shabby, and I can feel some of the fitness I had for the half marathon coming back. This was also undertaken with the remnants of Thursday night's hangover, which was due to the office Christmas party.

Saturday was meant to be a rest day, but since I knew I would be busy on Sunday (see above!) I had to get up on Saturday morning and go for a run, before going to the football and then out for a 30th. The plan says to do a 60 minute "ramble" but to be honest I am not sure what that is. I defiantly don't live in the countryside or own any hiking boots, so it was not going to be that sort of ramble!

Instead I did a very slow 6.5km, in around 50ish minutes, although I didn't time it. I just didn't have he energy to go round at full pelt (or as close to it as I can manage) and thought it would be better to just get the distance under my belt in whatever time I do, than to bust a gut and then give up after 3km. Hopefully my experience on Sunday to help to lessen this sort of run, with the extra motivation driving me on. We shall see, as on Monday I have the day off work, so and going to off-plan and go for a long run, rather than the 25 minutes stated. How will I do, only one way to kind out - come back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment