Monday 7 November 2011

13km weekend, but two very different runs

Saturday:

Well, I didn’t go running on Friday after work. I just didn’t have it in me, and surprised myself by sleeping for a massive 10 hours, as opposed to my usual 6-7, which I think demonstrates just how tired I was!

However, I was bright eyed and bushy-tailed to go for a run on Saturday morning.  It’s a pity my body was not up to speed with my mind though. Just 1km or so in I could feel my right calf muscle tighten up (despite my usual 10mins of stretching) and given the massive and painful injury I suffered to this area a few years ago (more on that another time) I thought it would be wise to slow it down and just have a slow jog rather than burn round.  I still managed to complete 6.5km, but in a dismally slow 39 mins 45 seconds.

Still, I got round the first 6.5km I have done for a few weeks and had a great time at the football in the afternoon – makes a change when you support my team, as Sat afternoons (or mornings, or Sundays, or Tues, or Weds – bloody Sky) usually involve bering nervious for 90 mins, then feeling relieved or just being annoyed at losing.

Blackheath fireworks on Sat night, which I am sure were lovely if you were in the clouds. Except we were not, and the big balls of water just obscured our view, making it all a bit pointless.

Sunday:

Another monster sleep in but this time my body was along for the ride! I did the same 6.5km route around Angel/Islington as the day before (I will provide a map when I have figured out how…) but was considerably faster, knocking it off it a not-too-bad 37 mins 25 seconds.  How can I be a whole 2 mins 20 seconds faster just one day later?

The variation in the quality of my training and speed from day to day confuses me – I know that what you eat, how you sleep etc can make a difference, but some days I am racing along and others I feel like lead in my legs. Luckily that has not happened on an actual race day yet, but surely it is only a matter of time?

Anyway, after my run I spent the rest of the afternoon on my arse watching The Wire (greatest TV show ever. Fact. We are halfway through season three at the moment) and playing football manager while the Wife (aka my running support team) made some mushroom/leek/lentil bake thing. Sounds weird but it was actually really nice!

It’s now Monday afternoon (I write this during lunch) and another 6.5km beckons, although it is too dark to run along the canal after work now, so it will just be on the treadmill, which almost feels like cheating. But isn’t.

Tally ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment