Thursday 3 November 2011

First blog - The Fat Bloke Speaks!

Hello
 
My name is…, well that’s not important right now. What is important is that I am a fat bloke. A fat bloke who has this stupid urge to run as far as possible, as quickly as possible.

In fact, I will be running the 2012 London Marathon, my first, but probably not my last attempt, to run the distance. In order to try and make the training seem a little more interesting, I thought I would blog about it.

The idea is that other complete amateur runners can read about my training exploits, tell me what I am doing right/wrong (via the comments box below) and hopefully we can all learn something.

Either that, or you can take perverse enjoyment from the pain and suffering I am about to endure. The choice is yours.

But first, a little bit about me.  When I say I am a fat bloke, I am not massively obese or anything, but I am certainly a long way over the line considered to be overweight. I weigh 100.7kg (that’s 15 stone 12 pounds in old money, 222 pounds if you are a Yank) and stand 5"8 in shoeses (172cm). However, in my defence I am built like a rugby player who has let himself go a bit, rather than just 16 stone of lard!

I also already do a bit of running. When I say a bit, I have done a few 10kms, with a recent personal best of just over 56 minutes.  I also did the Run to the Beat half marathon in September, dragging my broken body round in 2hrs, 14mins, 57secs.  At the end I thought there is no way I could do that entire thing all over again, let alone there and then. But here I am, training for the full sodding distance.

So, I will be blogging each day to let you know what training I have been up to, how it went, if I am actually getting any better at this, if I am becoming less of a fat bloke and how much pain I am in.
If the mood takes me, I might also write about other bits and bobs, like films I have seen, gigs I have been to, etc. But the focus is on a fat bloke running.

Let the blogging commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment