Wednesday 28 December 2011

Christmas done, now bring on the hills!

Well, that is Christmas over with for another year. Sorry about the lack of blogging, Christmas and training got in the way but now I am back! 

So since I last blogged on Dec 21 I have had a bit of a change in training, with outdoor running being beefed up and the treadmill taking a bit of a step back.  This is because I will be running the marathon outside and while the weather is a bit better I am taking advantage of it!

However after the food poisoning I thought it best to start back on the treadmill and last Thursday I set out to try and beat my best distance record so far and go for 16km. All was well until I got to about 8km and I felt my left knee tighten up. Again. Bugger. I know to step back and let it get better, so just rounded out 8.5km in a decent time and then had Friday night off.

Saturday morning, aka Christmas eve, I got up and with no breakfast and just half a pint of water I set out to do my first outdoor 10km since the Run to the Beat half marathon and it was alright. Not great, with an average speed of 5.40 minutes per km (vs 5.25ish in the gym) but decent none the less and around the kind of pace I want to do the marathon in. And I saw two sodding green parrots! Just flying around, near the Thames. Seemed happy enough.

On Christmas day I only did 6km, around the same speed as the 10km the day before but how many of the rest of you got up and went for a run before opening even one present? Hmmm!!!!!!

Then yesterday I had a real change, with outdoor running in a mentally hilly location. My average speed dropped to 6.07, something I will be looking to improve a lot in the next few weeks, but it was not a bad benchmark to set for the first time out, esp as I am still getting over Christmas.

Tomorrow should be another early morning and the same run again, a bit quicker this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment