Friday 2 December 2011

Woah, we’re ¼ of the way there, woaaH, livin’ on a prayer


Yep folks, you guessed it from the headline, I am now ¼ of the way there! Not through my training plan (sadly) but last night, against all hope and expectation, I smashed through 10.5km.

Remember, I was only going to do a 35 minute run.  I spent the first 3.5k listening to more Partridge (Ah Ha!) and got into a decent rhythm.  I then slowed down to flip over to my running play list to get through the remaining time before pumping the speed back up to 11.2kph.

Now, I have taken to running with my gym towel over the distance counter, otherwise I find myself just staring at it, and you know the old saying about watching kettles.  So I was motoring along at a decent pace and had not checked my distance for a while and was surprised to see that I was already at 35 minutes, and around 6.5km in.

From there I thought I might as well carry on to match the 8km I did on Monday.

At this point I will admit that I was busting out a few moves on the treadmill. I get really into the music and if I have the energy I find myself having a little dance along with the music, esp if it is something like the Prodigy blasting out.

I got to 8km 3 minutes faster than I did on Monday and still felt ok, so then progressed to 8.5, then 9 and at 9 I thought I might as well just power on to 10km. On the way, I thought I might as well do the extra half km, making the distance ¼ of a marathon.

And then I did! I got to 10km in just under 55 minutes and then cracked the speed up to 12kph and smashed through the final 500m in 2 mins 30 seconds. Bo ya!

Then had a curry and went out for beers with some mates, thereby undoing all my good work. But still, ¼ done and I am well ahead of my training plan. But that doesn’t mean I can take my foot off the gas, still got to do my 75 minute “ramble” over the weekend. Whatever a “ramble” is…

1 comment: