Sunday 1 January 2012

Rain rain go away, and take my injury with you!

The hill training has not been going so well, and by that I mean not at all. This is due to two factors. First, I somehow managed to injure my shoulder. I have no idea how, but I ended up with a knot just to the inside of my left shoulder blade. It was about the size and consistency of a large marble, and pulled the muscles in all across my shoulders and the base of the back. As I am sure you can imagine, this made running pretty painful, not just with the shoulder going back and forth but also on the movement up and down as I jog along. But it has mostly cleared up now, thank goodness.

The other issue has been the weather. Now, I quite like running in the rain, it is refreshing and keeps me cool, as long as I remember to put some Vaseline on my nips. However, it has been raining with a vengeful intensity in the last few days, meaning that even if my shoulder worked then running would not be great. So I have instead been sitting on my arse, eating Christmas food and generally losing fitness.

The situation has improved somewhat in the last two days, as I have managed to get out and do two 5.2km runs. The first saw me with an average speed of over 6 minutes per km, well above my normal 5.30, but I managed to get it back down to around 5.40 today, not too bad considering all the hills!

So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to have a crack at a 8km run and keep that speed under 6mins and if that goes well I will increase it up to 10km after that.

On a broader note, Happy New Year to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment