Friday 16 December 2011

Woahhhhh, we’re 1/3 of the way there……!

Yep, I know it doesn’t scan very well, but I have now completed a 1/3rd marathon! It was a close run thing though.  Recall, in my last blog (Tuesday) I had been for a 7km run on Monday night and the last 1km was a killer as the after effects of a cold were still there.

Well, I played football on Tuesday evening (won one, drew one for a not-too-bad end of season) and we then went to the pub for a few post match beers.

Or five beers to be precise, in around 2 hours. Normally five beers in an evening would be fine, but so close together…well, Wednesday morning was less than brilliant, and I was down to go for a 35 minute run after work, before going out for a few more drinks and then a comedy gig. Just as I was leaving work I downed a lemsip, hoping it would take the edge off the final bits of my cold before the run.

Except that was a bloody awful idea. It made me feel really sick and I thought I was going to throw up on the treadmill. Not a great situation but I still struggled on and did 5km in 30 minutes before having a shower and meeting friends for another five pints.

Now, this is not the way to prepare for a good long run on Thursday. However, I had yet another days leave to use up from work, so could afford to lay in. I had some toast for breakfast and some noodles for lunch. Carb loading.

Then, I hit the gym around 4, set the treadmill to 11.2kph and got on it.

And then got off 1 hour, 16 minutes and 30 seconds later, having not stopped at all and completed 14.0km. Phew! I was not expecting that – I was looking to do another 10.5km run, but after my friend had done her 12.8km run I thought I might have a crack at that as the 10km marker approached, and then I thought I might as well go on and do the 1/3 distance. Brilliantly, I reckon I could have gone on for another couple of kilometres as well, but I was already running late (pun intended) to go and babysit for some friends, so had to jump off and hit the showers.

I am feeling quite tired today and my left knee is sore (as it often is) but apart from that I feel generally fine. There is hope still that I might actually pull this off!

So, a day off today, and I had a bacon sandwich as a reward for breakfast. Not exactly helping with the fat bloke aspect of this project, but I don’t get them at home so I thought I deserved it. And I weighed myself on the rubbish scales and came in at 99.4kg, so things are deffo going in the right direction.That is now thin enough to skydive (100kg is usually the limit) and I might even do it once the race is over......

Looking ahead, I might do the Highbury Fields 5km run tomorrow morning. Not a great distance but a nice little cool down after Thursday’s exploits. But if it is snowing then I am staying in bed!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment: