Tuesday 13 December 2011

I’m back, I’m back as a matter of fact


Yeah, take that cold! I am back on the road! Or treadmill at least. Yesterday I managed to go for my first run since last Wednesday, despite still having the remnants of my cold kicking around in my system.

I made the decision not to make up for the two sessions down on the plan that I have missed and instead carry on at the point where I would have been anyway. This is because it was a 90 minute ramble and a 35 minute run, both things I can do anyway and I don't want to get too far behind, esp with a long holiday coming up.

It was a funny old run to be honest.  I started off in really good form. Now, I usually find the first km or so a little bit of a chore before getting into a rhythm for the next 4km or so before slowing down for a minute or two and then picking it back up for another 5km.

Yesterday, the first km flew by, as did the second, third, fourth and fifth. At this stage I started thinking “maybe I could do a decent 10km here”. Then I went one step further. Over the weekend I caught up with a friend who is doing the Paris marathon, which is one week before the London event. Having the inevitable training chat, she said she had “only” done 8 miles the week before, and that was her longest run. That’s 12.8km! That’s 30%! Just under a third distance, with still more than four months to go! So there I was thinking maybe I could do that – just make it to 13km, then stop so I don’t knacker myself out for football today.

However it didn’t quite work out like that. At about 6.5km (35 minutes) I felt really tired, with my cold suddenly catching up with me. It was a really odd loss of energy and I struggled onto 7km before hitting the cool down button and doing the 5 minutes walk. I was only down for a 35 minute run, so felt pretty good about things generally and am alright today, so hopefully that is the cold more or less over and done with.

Which leaves me free to play football tonight and then another 35 minute run tomorrow. Another day off on Thursday so I might have another crack at a 10km in the afternoon, though I am at a gig on Wednesday night, so will see how I feel in the morning…..

No comments:

Post a Comment