Thursday 2 February 2012

Tired and grumpy but still going


It has been a bit of a mixed week so far, hence why I haven’t blogged for a few days.  Monday started off well and I hit the gym after work with the aim of matching the 8.5km I did the week previous.

However, after the 14km I did on Saturday I felt a bit heavy legged and lethargic.  In addition, as I was running on the treadmill (wayyyy too cold to go outside for any reason at all apart for buying food) I managed to knock the emergency stop button after about 20 minutes, which knocked me off my stride.

Nevertheless, I still managed to get though a fairly meaty 11km in 1 hour, 20 seconds, around one minute slower than when I covered the same distance on my way to 14km last Wednesday, so I was pretty pleased with that.

Tuesday was a different matter though. Both my calves were feeling sore and my back was also quite tight. On top of this I was totally knackered after a poor night’s sleep, so knocked football on the head and went home instead. Or at least I though. I got to my front door and released I had left my keys at work. I phoned Wifey who was on her way home, so I went round the pub to wait for her. Unfortunately she got stuck on the tube, so I didn’t get inside the house until around 2 hours after I thought I would, making me even grumpier and tired.

I can’t afford to mooch around though, not with a half marathon just 2 weeks, 2 days away!  So I hit the gym last night with the intention of just doing a quick 5km to shake the heaviness out of my legs and I blasted through in 27 mins, 25 seconds, setting a pace of 5 mins 13 per km, a bit faster than my marathon target. 

It also serves as a warm up to the week’s main event, the Long Run. I am aiming to beat the distance I set last week (14.2km) and hold roughly the same sort of pace, earning myself a Friday night off!

Weight update:
I weighted myself on Monday and was pleased to see I am now down to 97.8kg and this only ticked up to 98.2kg on Wednesday, meaning I am going in the right direction but still have some way to go before the name of this blog is redundant!

In addition, I am doing this to raise money for the Willow Foundation, as well as getting less fat. You can sponsor me at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runningfatbloke and to all the people who have already done, so, thank you, it is very much appreciated and is spurring me on to train, even in the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment