Monday 30 January 2012

Spending time in the cold

Wow, winter is really biting.

I went out for a 5km run on Friday night (yes, yes, I know, what a great way to spend a Friday night) and took two new things with me.  The first was a rather natty florescent yellow long sleeved shirt, with some sort of weird fleecy liner (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005TZT55C/ref=ox_ya_os_product) to try and keep me warm. It sort of worked – I was still cold for the first 2km but then warmed up a fair bit and in the end had my sleeves pushed up as I was getting a bit hot.

I also took my new GPS watch – the Garmin Forerunner 110 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Enabled-Unisex-Sports/dp/B003EG83LK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1327923607&sr=1-1).  The idea behind this new product was that it displays the distance run, time and pace. You see, holding a steady, constant pace has been a bit of a problem for me, as I tend to run pretty fast and then walk for a bit, which is hardly ideal if I am going to try and do a whole marathon.  Thus, by using this I can have a quick look down at my watch and see if I am going too fast/slow and then adjust.

I have to say, it worked a treat. I started off far too fast (probably due to the cold) and forced myself to slow down. I then got caught up in a load of people going down Upper St in Angel, which impacted my time, and then I knew to speed up at the end to still come in at a decent pace.  Not only that, but when plugged into the computer it pulls up a map of where I went, average speed, distance, and time per km, so afterwards I can see where I slowed down, and try and figure out why.

However, a sterner test was to come on Saturday afternoon.  It was a bit warmer and after the 1/3 marathon on Wednesday evening in the gym, I decided to go for the same distance in the real world to see if a) I could do it and b) how much slower I am.

It was much warmer than Friday night, so I ditched the long sleeves and just went of the bright yellow t-shirt. I also selected a route that included a couple of hills, something that you can’t do on the treadmill.  In fact, I did this route:



Well, roughly. I got a little bit lost in Shoreditch, and the GPS said I did 14.14km, which I suspect is more accurate. I managed this in 1 hour, twenty minutes, marginally slower than the 1 hour 18 it took me to do 14.2km a few days before.  However, Saturday’s run included hills, as well as having to stop at traffic lights a few times, which obviously impacted on my speed. I am pretty pleased to have done the distance, especially with the Windsor half marathon now less than three weeks away, although there is still plenty of work to do. So, tonight I am going for a 10km run after having yesterday as a rest day, although given how blooming cold it is outside (cold in Jan? Who would have guessed it!) I will be back on the treadmill, annoying the staff at the gym who only want people to do 25 minutes at a time. What is the use of that?

Remember, I am doing this to raise money for the Willow Foundation, as well as getting less fat. You can sponsor me at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runningfatbloke and to all the people who have already done, so, thank you, it is very much appreciated and is spurring me on to train, even in the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment