Monday 23 January 2012

Running out of time!


There are now only 89 days to go until the marathon and 26 until the Windsor half marathon, so this weekend I decided that I really needed to step up a gear and push forward, especially after my work out on Friday.

I hit the gym after work, but only managed 2.5km as I was exhausted after a week of work coupled with the remnants of jetlag.  Indeed, on Friday night I slept for a massive 10 hours, way more than my usual 6.5 and awoke feeling fresh and full of purpose, which was lucky as I still have a lot to do!

So, I set out for a 7.67km run, hoping to do it in sub 42.30, the time I achieved last time I did the same course. And it was lovely to run on the flat, to be able to breathe in the non humid air and to run in the sunshine without getting burnt. In fact it was so lovely I smashed it out in 40.58, two minutes quicker and getting an average pace of 5.20 minutes per km, a little faster than marathon pace.

But this was not enough, no! The half marathon (which is my immediate goal) is still closing in, so despite feeling a bit tired from my exertions the day before I set out to do a ¼ marathon on Sunday afternoon. Although the opening 15 minutes was fairly hard work I managed to get from Shoreditch park all the way up and Manor House tube and back (via Stoke Newington) in 57 mins, 34 seconds, with a race pace of 5 mins 27 seconds, just inside the 5.30 I am looking to hold through the main race.

So, overall a good week’s work, with a total of around 32km done over the week and 18km on the weekend alone. This week I am doing just a 5km today as a warm down from yest but with a gym session on top, before football tomorrow night. Then hopefully I can beat my 10.5km on Wednesday as I start building up towards race distance for the Windsor Half, before Mum’s birthday on Thursday.

If you are training for the marathon as well then I hope your training is going ok, and that your fund raising is also progressing. If you would like to sponsor me (and see a picture of me totally knackered after the Run To The Beat last Sept) then you can do so at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runningfatbloke.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment