Monday 9 January 2012

Sorry for the delay, 10km on hills and New Years Resolutions

Whoops, been a while since I last posted as I have been away for a few days and then net access has been a little bit scratchy.


But in the interim I have managed to do a 10km run, outside, on super hilly terrain and in the heat. Get me!


I have also uploaded all my runs to a website called dailymile.com. It is helping me to keep track of distances and times, so I can see how my training is going. You can see my training profile if you want, it is here. You can also follow me on Twitter if that is your bag, @runningfatbloke


Now, when I last posted I was struggling with the hill training and speed had dropped, but I was hopeful of getting back on track, and I seem to have managed that. I completed the 8.2km run I was looking to do, in 44 minutes, giving me and average speed of 5.22 mins per km. Not too bad, and slightly above the pace I want to try and hold all through the marathon. I followed this up with a 9.17km run in 53 mins (5.47 pace) .


I then went away for a few days and although I took my running gear with me, I slept in late each day and did precisely sod all, but it was good to have a rest and not really think about running for a few days.


But then I returned! I managed 10.17km in 58 mins 35 seconds, a pace of 5.53 in an area that is much more hilly than the marathon, and hopefully the race day will be a bit cooler as well!


Another day off and today I did head out for a run, but the heat and humidity meant I just did a 5km brisk walk, which was a bit disappointing but better than nout.


So, with 104 days left to go, I am at an ok stage of training, but from next week I will be stepping it up.


The aim is do do two 10km runs in the gym per week, one in the real world (at least until spring comes in, when I will swap the gym/real world) and then one run per week that will increase in distance by 2km per week, bringing my up to runs that are close to marathon distance. I will probably do these on the treadmill, so that if I have any issues then I can just stop and not be a million miles away from home. This on top of playing 5-a-side once a week for around 30 minutes.


It is also roughly in keeping with the marathon program I was following, but will hopefully fit around work better. At this stage I should be up to doing a half marathon, but I did pick a 16 week plan when I still had 22 weeks to go, so it is not really an issue I am slightly off that pace, and I aim to be back on track in a couple of weeks.


I am also going to give up ice cream, chocolate and bread between now and the race day, in the hope of actually losing some weight. I mean, I have lost a bit but not much although I am much fitter. The Christmas drinking didn't help either, but I am also going to cut back and only drink my home brew at home. Means I should save some cash as well, which is good as I have booked myself a little holiday for after the marathon as a treat!


I promise to be less tardy in the future as well and up date this a bit more often, esp now training is stepping up a gear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment